Tragedy in Argentina, one dead due to violence at Boca Juniors-Gimnasia y Esgrima game

Last week soccer was in mourning with the tragedy that occurred in Indonesia and, this Thursday, it happened again. Now it was in La Plata, Argentina, where the match between Gimnasia y Esgrima and Boca Juniors had to be suspended. There were aggressions, pitch invasion, tear gas and, unfortunately, one death.

What happened in Indonesia is a big deal, as 131 people lost their lives. What happened in Del Bosque stadium, in La Plata, is no less, as violence in a place that should be familiar, to enjoy, once again cost someone’s life.

Horrible scenes from the Boca Juniors-Gimnasia game as tear gas enters stadium

It all started outside the stadium, as there were people who wanted to enter and the gates were closed for the Argentine First Division match. The police tried to contain the fans who were causing disturbances, so rubber bullets and gas were necessary to control them. It is mentioned that there may have been over-selling of tickets.

The situation spread inside the stadium. The match was already in progress, 8 minutes into the game and tear gas prevented the game from continuing. The game was stopped and the players had to go to the dressing rooms, while many fans left the stands and left the stadium.

One dead in the incidents

One person, identified as Csar Regueiro, died on the way to the hospital after suffering cardiorespiratory arrest. The fan, who had played in the lower categories of another Platense club, had died when he was being transferred to the San Martn hospital. “Apparently when he was leaving the stadium he had a cardiac decompensation,” said Sergio Berni, Minister of Security of the Province of Buenos Aires.

People invaded the pitch to take cover from the smoke, images that were repeated in the stands, while outside the stadium the chaos and disorder continued. Gimnasia players were worried about their relatives in the stands, but there was no way to communicate. There were lost children, injured people outside the stadium and the game was suspended, which was confirmed by referee Hernn Mastrngelo.

“The people from Aprevide contacted me, the game was not ready to be played and we made the decision to suspend the match”, said the referee, who commented that they had to attend to people in the dressing rooms and that it was a complicated time.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *